9/26/2010

Autobiography -


Two weeks ago Pastor Joanna gave everyone at church an 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper, titled "My Spiritual Autobiography". We all have a story, right? She shared her's with us during the service which really helped us learn more about her. I liked the idea of this and it really made me think my own story...

My earliest memory of awareness of God - Wow, for as long as I can remember I have attended church. I was taught to say Grace before every meal and get on my knees beside my bed at night and pray. There are pictures at the church of me way before even being old enough to go to school.

The major religious events or experiences in my family life, church, youth group, camp and so forth - As a child, I always enjoyed Sunday School and our Youth activities. I remember things like Scavenger Hunts....we literally went from house to house looking for those 'odd' items on our list (can you imagine doing that today?). I also remember how special the Christmas season was. Activities, preparation for the Sunday performance and the Live Nativity.

My spiritual high point (time when I felt closest to God) - Last year I taught Cierra and Briana's Tween Sunday School class. They were at such a good age. They seemed to absorb each week's lesson and were so fun to work with. I felt like I learned with them - I looked forward to Sunday mornings.

My spiritual low point (time when I felt most distant from God) - I have been VERY blessed thus far in my life. I can't think of a time that I was "spiritually low". Don't misunderstand...I have faced many challenges but have always believed that "everything happens for a reason", thus the reason for my tatoo on my left wrist. I think most that know me would agree that "I do what I have to do" because "it is what it is"....

Special people who have played a role in my faith journey - Without a doubt, my MOM! She is the one that made me understand how important it is to have God in my life. She may not have always agreed with the things I did but always guided me to God. There have been many times that I haven't made it to church on Sunday morning - that didn't matter, she still had faith in me and knew that I was a strong Christian.

Over the past few years Pastor Joanna has played a key part in our lives. She really does a great job, encouraging participation, coordinating group activities and gives our church her "all". I can honestly say that she has played a key role in Ronnie becoming more involved AND...that makes a difference!

Where I am right now in my relationship with God - I'm probably what would be called the 'steady Eddie'. I attend church on Sunday, read my daily devotion but really just maintain.

Where I would like to be in my relationship with God - I would love a balance between our 'every day life' and time that we can spend at church. It seems like there is always something going on that causes us not to attend church each week. Between baseball, 4H, camping activities and just life in general it is more challenging to be home/in town on Sunday morning.

What's missing in my relationship with God - well - the one thing that I would love to do is read the Bible and be more knowledgeable of the scriptures. I have tried many different ways to do this but as of yet, haven't succeeded....gotta keep tryin'!

Now that you know a little bit more about me, I hope you can see that all in all, our life is pretty good. Yes, there's always opportunity for improvement but we really don't have many complaints. Bottom line - I wouldn't trade my life for anything right now....

No comments:

Post a Comment